Large Project Tickets
Large Project Tickets are designed for pre-planned jobs which continue over a significant area and length of time. The large scope of these projects typically requires a planning meeting between excavators and affected facility owners in the area before locates are requested.
Although the Before You Dig Partners software allows users to submit large areas on a single ticket, Large Project Tickets with a work area exceeding 5 kilometers in length pose challenges to facility owners and locators, and can compromise damage prevention and safety practices.
- Response documentation provided by facility owners is long, complicated, and can be difficult to read and
- Physical locates will take multiple days and / or multiple locators to
- The large work area increases the risk of a facility being missed during a physical
- Requesting locates for areas of the project where work will not begin for 14 days results in multiple relocates, increasing the burden on the damage prevention
To maintain the integrity of the damage prevention process and to ensure the safety of all involved parties, facility owners may reject Large Project tickets where the length of the work area exceeds 5 kilometers.
Best Practices for submitting tickets over a large work area
- Submit one ticket covering the first 5 kilometer length of your work area.
- Click the ‘Continue Ticket’ button from the ticket confirmation screen. The Continue Ticket function will create a new ticket with the same details as the previous ticket automatically filled in.
- In the Location tab, the area you drew for the previous ticket will be highlighted in grey. Draw the next section of your work area. This dig site polygon will ‘snap’ to the previous dig site polygon to create a continuous work area if required.
Note: It is not required that your polygons touch.
Tickets submitted using the ‘Continue Ticket’ function are automatically linked by the software through information in the Remarks field. This allows facility owners and locators to identify multiple tickets as part of one large job.
*TIP* An additional way to link your tickets is by entering a job ID number in the ‘User Reference’ field. This field is searchable in your ticket history so you can easily pull up all tickets related to this job.