This article is to help with drawing out your work site after performing a search on the Location screen when submitting a ticket.
After entering your criteria at Step 1 and clicking Search, a map will appear on the right-hand side of the screen with a circular cursor indicating the found location. The next step is to select the work site on this map using the tools on the left-hand side:
The map tools include:
- Pan: Select the Pan tool to enable you to click and drag the map to move it around.
- Zoom: You can use the plus and minus buttons, click on the bar, or roll in and out using the scroller on your mouse to zoom in or out of the map.
- Polygon: Select the Polygon tool to designate broader areas on the map, e.g. properties or road corridors. Click once at the first corner, then click once on each corner as you trace around the site, then double-click at the end to complete the drawing. The area inside the polygon represents your work area.
- Edit: Select the Edit/pen tool to amend an area that you have already drawn using the line/polygon tools. Click on the existing drawing - it will turn blue, and you will be able to move existing points/create new points to change the shape of the drawing. Once editing is completed, click anywhere on the map or on the tool icon again to save the new shape.
- Measure: Select the Measure/ruler tool to find the distance from one point to another in meters. Click once at the beginning of the length, then click once each time the line needs to bend. Double-click at the end to stop measuring. The distance will be shown on a scale at the bottom of the map.
- Layers: Select the Layers tool to view different base maps, including Hybrid and Satellite views. Make your selection using the radio buttons on the pop-up, and the map will reload to show the alternative imagery.
Tip: To delete an incorrect drawing, re-select a drawing tool and begin a new drawing. The old one will disappear automatically. If you have used the Measure tool the grey dotted lines will remain on the map afterwards, but will not show up on your completed ticket.
Along the bottom of the map, you will be able to see:
- Scale: Gives an idea of distances on the map:
- Measure: Displays the measurement of the current drawing tool being used (line/polygon/circle/ruler sizes):
- XY Co-ordinates: Displays the current position of the mouse pointer on the map:
Please note that if your site exceeds the maximum dig size for that ticket type, it will need to be broken down into smaller sections. To assist with this we have created the Continue Ticket function which will help you keep track of the previous ticket's details and map.
After drawing the location on the map, you will be able to edit the site address using the fields at Step 3. Please see our How to use the Location screen main article for more information on this.